Wiki DSM5 ICD-10 Transition

jennamiller

Networker
Best answers
I am new to DSM-5 and to a Behavioral Health Org. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will DSM-5 still be implemented now that ICD-10 has been delayed?

2. Are there any organizations that decided not to use DSM-5 and transition fully to ICD-9/ICD-10? (Pretty sure I'll want to pick your brains further)

3. What software is your organization using for a EHR?

Thanks

DSM 5 has both ICD-9 & ICD-10 codes and slated to go in effect October 2014. There is no delay for DSM 5 because of the ICD-10 delay.

Some practices are using DSM 5 now - it is up to the practice if they want to still use IV (4), but in October, everyone should be using DSM 5.

DSM is what mental health uses as the criteria for diagnosing. It's not an option of using DSM OR ICD.

You will find out that the terminology used in DSM is different than some of the terminology for ICD, so don't let that throw you off ;)

For example:
In DSM there is a diagnosis of "Autism Spectrum Disorder" which has an ICD-9 code of 299.00 which is described as "Autistic disorder, current or active state".

Hope that helps some!

I am new to DSM-5 and to a Behavioral Health Org. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will DSM-5 still be implemented now that ICD-10 has been delayed?

2. Are there any organizations that decided not to use DSM-5 and transition fully to ICD-9/ICD-10? (Pretty sure I'll want to pick your brains further)

3. What software is your organization using for a EHR?

Thanks

Hi Jenna,

I'm new to a Behavioral Health agency too! We have decided to go with both and have a cross-walk of sorts in place for our top used codes.

Our EHR is Cerner (a.k.a. Anasazi).

Lena