Wiki Dressing Supplies

melihas

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

I'm not quite sure how to bill this and if Medicare will even reimburse. I had a patient come in to see his PCP for falling on ice and fracturing his knee and having some open wounds. The nurse applied dressing to the patient. Normally if a patient would see the nurse for a dressing change I would bill 99211, but since he saw the doctor I was wondering for the supplies used (there was a lot) can I use 99070 or are there any other codes that can be used for the supplies with the E&M code?

Hello,

I'm not quite sure how to bill this and if Medicare will even reimburse. I had a patient come in to see his PCP for falling on ice and fracturing his knee and having some open wounds. The nurse applied dressing to the patient. Normally if a patient would see the nurse for a dressing change I would bill 99211, but since he saw the doctor I was wondering for the supplies used (there was a lot) can I use 99070 or are there any other codes that can be used for the supplies with the E&M code?
99070 is not on the MPFS. These services would be considered inclusive to the office visit. You can try billing applicable A codes, but I'm pretty sure Medicare will deny as bundled.

99070 is not on the MPFS. These services would be considered inclusive to the office visit. You can try billing applicable A codes, but I'm pretty sure Medicare will deny as bundled.
Just learning but when I looked at HCPCS codes for dressings they all had a status indicator of N so I figured they were inclusive to the OV - am I on the right track of thinking so far?

Just learning but when I looked at HCPCS codes for dressings they all had a status indicator of N so I figured they were inclusive to the OV - am I on the right track of thinking so far?
That is true. Most supplies and dressings will be included in the procedure, OV, etc. I worked for an orthopedic practice who just billed all supplies. Some got paid and some didn't. They just took what they could get.