Wiki Doi

soprano

Guru
Best answers
Question... what date of injury is required when billing for patient with traumatic fx, s/p orif, presenting for po complication?

Not sure if DOI is supposed to be:
1. date of initial injury (fracture)
2. date of surgery
3. date of po complication symptoms

Sorry, I am a coder, not a biller so I don't know billing guidelines. At my facility, coders are now required to enter an account note with DOI anytime an E code is assigned.

Last edited:
Ok, at the same time I posted this question, I also sent an email to the billing manager for the hospital. She replied this afternoon and said the doi depends on what type of e code is being reported. In my case, since it was an e code for the complication and not the injury, she said I should enter the date patient's complication started. According to her, if I were reporting an e code related to the fx, then I could enter the initial date of injury as doi.

So now I'm confused. Can I get some other billers to weigh in on which doi would be reported at your facility. I apologize for my confusion but, again, I am coder, not a biller. That's why I am posting on this forum, I need expert opinion.

If using an injury code and we contact the doctors office for a date, but they only know the month. what should we be using ?