Wiki Does this qualify for high MDM?

alysenb

Contributor
Best answers
We are having a discussion here about oncology E/M leveling. My thought is that if the patient has a cancer diagnosis, that that should be counted as "acute or chronic conditions that poses a threat to life". Based on the AMA definition, "that poses a threat to life or bodily function in the near term without treatment". We have new AI software that is not catching this and before I say something I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this.

Any diagnosis, even cancer, is not automatically any specific level. It depends on the status of the problem as documented at the time of the encounter.
There are patients with a cancer diagnosis, who are currently being treated, with good response, and no side effects.
Example1: breast cancer patient who had partial mastectomy 2 years ago, no evidence of disease, and now on tamoxifen for 5 years without side effects. That problem is low level.
Example2: breast cancer patient who had partial mastectomy 2 years ago, no evidence of disease, on tamoxifen with minor side effects of hot flashes. That problem is moderate.
Example3: breast cancer patient who had partial mastectomy 2 years ago, no evidence of disease, on tamoxifen that is causing severe hot flashes, night sweats, and edema. That problem is high.
While many patients with an active cancer diagnosis *might* be high level problem, if it is not an aggressive or high stage cancer, it could easily be a lower level problem.

Agree, just because a patient has a cancer diagnosis does not mean the COPA is high even if it is in the oncology office visit realm.