Wiki does this justify bumping up E&M levels?

ljhaley@gmail.com

Networker
Best answers
My admin insists "Obtaining fluid from a body cavity" listed under risk area in the MDM section as a reason to bump up an E&M from a 99213 to a 99214 on a variety of situations at my practice. (most often-pharyngitis) My office mgr I are at odds over what constitutes a "cavity". I have the medical definition-any fluid filled space in a multi-cellular organism other than a vessel, but need a more definitive answer for this situation.

Do throat culture, urine culture, nasal swab, vaginal or anal swab or Incision and drainage of abscess, TRULY qualify for "obtaining fluid from a body cavity"? The argument is oral and nasal cavities justify a TC and nasal swab. Urine, vaginal and anal swabs are obvious, and they say I&D is from the "cavity" of the abscess.

I learned "cavity" meant a more involved situation like a thorocentesis. Plus CPT seems to point to an answer-TC, UC, and everything else codes with LAB codes 800 series. The only thing that might qualify is the bladder cath to obtain the sample for the culture, as the cath is a medicine code. PLEASE fellow coders, give me some feedback so I can put this to rest! They think every time they do a TC it's an automatic bump to a "1-4". THANK YOU!!!

Do throat culture, urine culture, nasal swab, vaginal or anal swab or Incision and drainage of abscess, TRULY qualify for "obtaining fluid from a body cavity"? The argument is oral and nasal cavities justify a TC and nasal swab. Urine, vaginal and anal swabs are obvious, and they say I&D is from the "cavity" of the abscess.

No, these swabs for lab tests are not considered 'obtaiing fluid from a body cavity'. In this instance from the E&M guidelines, this means like a thoracentesis, or a joint aspiration.

Pam, Thank you for your answer!
I reviewed the E&M guidelines again in my latest cpt book, but can't find a "Specific" reference. I may be just too fried today, but could you give me an idea of where/what you found in the guidelines please. Thank you! :)