Wiki Does any one else think it is wrong?

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
I am just curious if anyone else thinks it is wrong to post questions from a test being taken to obtain a job. In my opinion this should be done with only your books, as the employer is wanting to know the specific strengths and weaknesses of that person. If the forum is used to answer the test then the employer does not know what kind of coder they are hiring. I have observed several posts where the poster is requesting answers to test questions. I just feel this is wrong and was wanting to know how others feel. If you can convince me that I am wrong I may change my opinion. Thank You

Agree

I very much agree with you, the person taking the exam should go by his/her knowlege of the test. Either way its going to fall bad on them because they're going to get themselves into a position in which they have no knowlege on which is pretty much useless.

Julio

If the question is posted after the test has been submitted to find out if you were on the right track or not, I can see it but if you are still in posession of the test in question, that's cheating and not really fair to the other candidates.

It surprised me that you found that some were using the forum for these answers. I feel strongly that it should not be used for these purposes. I would not want to hire a person that could not look up and find their own answers to the questions I asked. Who is going to help them after they are hired and may not even have access to the forum? Just my opinion:)

It's a wash

I agree with everyone else......If the person can't answer their employment test assessment questions, then it will be obvious in no time that that person can't do the job anyways. This would soon be evident IF they get hired. It's the same in any aspect of every work environment. These days, one has to prove you are the right candidate and should be hired based on education, experience, skill. My higher ups are considering having us to re-certify now every two years. What a drag if one has multiple credentials....at least the company will pay for it. But we were also told that if we fail, we lose our job in 60 days.

I agree with everyone. Where is the accountability? Some may argue that the person is showing initiative in reaching out to fellow coders; however, by some of the questions, it's obvious they have not even attempted to first look up the answer in either the coding manuals or an on-line coding tool. Also, they are short-changing the prospective employer - if they get hired, yes, they won't be able to do the job; but for the employer, it's discouraging to have to let someone go and start the process over again. By the time problems are discovered, documented, re-training has taken place, etc., it's very costly for them too.

If the question is posted after the test has been submitted to find out if you were on the right track or not, I can see it but if you are still in posession of the test in question, that's cheating and not really fair to the other candidates.

This is true. However it would more of an ethical issue then a matter of fairness. If they're not above cheating on a employment test, what else would they see as harmless to do?