Wiki documented 'in the pt's record' meaning

AmandaW

Guru
Best answers
When guidelines state that something must be stated 'in the patient's record' what exactly does that mean? Does it have to be in a 'progress note', visit note...or can it be in an 'order' for example?

One example could be a consult. Request, Render, Respond....what if the 'request' part is in an order somewhere within the patient's whole record but not in the H&P? Is that ok? Do orders, individual lab entries, additional notes, etc. count as the patient's "record" or just actual visit notes seeing the patient?

This is a good question. To my knowledge, we see the information in the encounter note. There is a field in our template for consults for referring provider. A colleague of mine said her previous employer required providers to state in the HPI 'patient is referred by Dr.X for consultation for xx'.

I look at this question as a PHYSICIAN documentation question - what parts of the record are completed and/or signed by the physician? I would certainly count an order or a consultation as part of the "record." If the physician is ordering a medication or diagnostic test, there must be a reason for this - and if that reason or codition is noted in the order instead of a progress note, why would this NOT be considered "part of the record"? Seeing that Amanda, the poster who asked the question, is a hospitalist coder, I am basing this response on an inpatient hospital patient record.