Wiki Documentations for smoking cessation

veloso

Expert
Best answers
Hi Everyone,
Is there a specific Guidelines for Documentaions needed for Smoking Cessation? because our Providers will just document this way:(PROGRESS NOTES WITH COMPLETE HPI AND PHY.EXAM) FOR 99213 LEVEL OF SERVICE =DX;SMOKER'S COUGH
Procedure Codes:
99406 SMOKE/TOBACCO COUNSELNG 3-10.
Treatment:
Smokers' cough
Start Nicotine Patch 24 Hour, 21 MG/24HR, Transdermal, 30, 1 patch, Once a day, 30 day(s), Refills 3
Discuss smoking cessation for 10 minutes.=MY QUESTION?? Does this documentation supports or enough for 99406 without any elaboration OR documentations of what are being discussed and precautions during this preventive service?

THANKS A LOT....

Nube

HI CMCGARRY

I READ YOUR LINK ON SMOKING CESATION AND IS THERE A CODE OR CODES FOR THE EM
VISIT FOR SMOKING CESATION, I THOUGHT IT WAS ONLY BILLABLE AS PART OF A REGULAR E/M EXAM :confused:

HI CMCGARRY

I READ YOUR LINK ON SMOKING CESATION AND IS THERE A CODE OR CODES FOR THE EM
VISIT FOR SMOKING CESATION, I THOUGHT IT WAS ONLY BILLABLE AS PART OF A REGULAR E/M EXAM :confused:

99406 and 99407. These are payable if the patient meets criteria of having a disease or adverse health effect linked to tobacco use by the U.S. Surgeon General or are taking a therapeutic agent whose metabolism or dosing is affected by tobacco use. If under 3 minutes, the counseling is part of an E/M service, as stated in the brochure the link leads to.

There is a new MLN Matters article about CR7133 which announces that CMS will now cover counseling to prevent tobacco use even without the criteria above, as long as the patient is a current smoker (305.1) or has a history (V15.82). Please see the article about the new codes to use for that service: http://www.cms.gov/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/MM7133.pdf

Hope this helps,