Wiki Documentation Career Options

allison_w_99

Contributor
Best answers
I was recently certified in August and took over the hospital physician service billing for a large practice at my first coding job. I like using my knowledge of medical terms and documentation guidelines when I'm reading charts to code. I think my primary interest is going to be with evaluation and management. There is so much to learn in this area but I have really absorbed a lot so far- so I want to build on knowledge and skills I will need to possibly go into consulting some day. The goals I have set for myself so far are too vague- so I need someone with more experience to give me some potential career ideas.

I don't think I want to be the one conducting audits. I think my interests would be more along the lines of doing seminars or collaborating to help develop and implement a plan for compliance. I like to research things. I just need some specific examples of positions to help get me thinking so I can set my goals for what I want to learn. I think an RHIT would be super helpful to have plus knowledge of chemistry, microbiology, and a more in-depth understanding of physiology/medical treatments. That is just so I can more easily abstract the clinical circumstances to understand it more from the provider's standpoint. Talking to physicians about documentation takes courage and charisma...lol. Please advise.

Last edited: