Wiki Do I code previous Angina?

LaurieJJ

Contributor
Best answers
ONe of our Cardiologists frequently shows "recheck of angina" in the CC area but also states "no chest pain."

So, for this office visit, do I code the Angina or not? The Cardiologist I assume is asking about recurrence, etc. Usually there are no procedures ordered for the
Angina.

Angina

Is the patient being treated with any medications for the angina (i.e., vasodilators or blood thinners)? (This might be why the patient is not exhibiting any active symptoms at the time of the follow up visit). It might be best to query the physcian to see if the condition is still active or if there is an underlying diagnosis which caused the angina which should be coded instead (i.e. coronary heart disease).

Angina pectoris is the medical term for chest pain or discomfort due to coronary heart disease. Angina is a symptom of a condition called myocardial ischemia. It occurs when the heart muscle (myocardium) doesn't get as much blood (hence as much oxygen) as it needs. This usually happens because one or more of the heart's arteries (blood vessels that supply blood to the heart muscle) is narrowed or blocked. Insufficient blood supply is called ischemia.