Wiki DM with Ulcer

Best answers
Hello All!

I have a general diagnosis question that I am a little confused about and need a little clarification. Here is the scenario:

Patient comes in with Type II DM, controlled and has a foot ulcer. Now normally without thinking I would code 250.80 and 707.15. But here is my question, can you code these codes if the patient does NOT have hypoglycemia since 250.80 is for Hypoglycemia? Or, since 250.80 includes OTHER manifestations, is this ok?

Thank you in advance,

Andrew, CPC, CMPA, CEMC

Hello All!

I have a general diagnosis question that I am a little confused about and need a little clarification. Here is the scenario:

Patient comes in with Type II DM, controlled and has a foot ulcer. Now normally without thinking I would code 250.80 and 707.15. But here is my question, can you code these codes if the patient does NOT have hypoglycemia since 250.80 is for Hypoglycemia? Or, since 250.80 includes OTHER manifestations, is this ok?

Thank you in advance,

Andrew, CPC, CMPA, CEMC
250.8x is not for hypoglycemia only it is for diabetes with other specified manifestations, such as..... ulcers being one of them
However if the documentation does not state an implied (diabetic) or causal (due to ) relationship between the diabetes and the ulcer then you would not combine them.
"ulcers of toes due to diabetes, IDDM" = 250.80 (249.80) + 707.15 + V58.67
ulcer of toes and has diabetes, IDDM = 707.15 + 250.00 (249.00) + V58.67