Wiki discontinued catheter

kimcpccircc

Networker
Best answers
Does anybody know if you can charge for discontinued cathethers? Report states:

The left groin was initially accessed. this was accessed with the use of a doppler tipped smart needle. the artery was identified and a wire inserted. the wire would not advance and then this was changed out for a glidewire. again, could be advanced but only partially into the pelvis and would not advance. therefore this site was abandoned.

the right groin was then accessed. again using the smart needle. a wire was inserted and then this was followed by a french sheath and dilator. a catheter was then placed in the suprarenal aorta and an abdominal aortogram obtained. ............. an attempt was then made to try to cannulate the left iliac system from the right femoral approach. the glidewire would not advance into the area of the stent, indicating chronic occlusion and so this site was abandoned.. the catheter was then removed.

Can I charge for the 36200-rt, 36200-53lt and 36246-53rt?

Last edited:
Does anybody know if you can charge for discontinued cathethers? Report states:

The left groin was initially accessed. this was accessed with the use of a doppler tipped smart needle. the artery was identified and a wire inserted. the wire would not advance and then this was changed out for a glidewire. again, could be advanced but only partially into the pelvis and would not advance. therefore this site was abandoned.

the right groin was then accessed. again using the smart needle. a wire was inserted and then this was followed by a french sheath and dilator. a catheter was then placed in the suprarenal aorta and an abdominal aortogram obtained. ............. an attempt was then made to try to cannulate the left iliac system from the right femoral approach. the glidewire would not advance into the area of the stent, indicating chronic occlusion and so this site was abandoned.. the catheter was then removed.

Can I charge for the 36200-rt, 36200-53lt and 36246-53rt?

I would bill only the 36200 for catheter position. On the left, I do not see a catheter placed on the left side, only wire. So no billling on the left. As to the right side, the catheter went into the aorta (36200), but there is no comment of the catheter making it at least to the common iliac artery on the left. So I would not bill for anything selective.

I hope this helps you out,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC, R.T.(CV)