Wiki Digital Nerve Block

rjenn86

Guru
Best answers
:confused: I have a chart note that dictates pt had a digital nerve block to aspirate a cyst.

Dictation reads:
The patient has a mucous-type ganglion cyst emanating off the dorsal aspect of her right thumb IP joint. We discussed treatment options and I recommended a simple aspiration attempt. This was performed today under strict sterile technique. I removed approximately a half cc of gelatinous fluid and gained complete evacuation of the cyst and I placed 2 additional punctures through the far walls of the cyst. I then applied a pressure dressing. This was done under a digital nerve block to obtain anesthesia for the procedure.

Today under strict sterile technique performed a digital nerve block of her right thumb using 3 cc of Marcaine, and once appropriate anesthesia was produced and performed an aspiration of the cyst of her thumb and placed several puncture holes through the far walls of the cyst to generate a good healing response.

I am wondering, would i bill out a digital nerve block cpt code or just use cpt code 20600. I would think using 20600 would be more appropriate.
Thank you for your help!

I do not believe that you can bill for the digital nerve block, as the "anesthesia" is usually inclusive to the procedure.