Wiki Difference BlW OP and IP Procedure

Ravikirann

Networker
Best answers
Dear All,

I am looking to differentiate between OP and IP procedures. Is there any documents available to do so. Please share with me it's high time and i am looking for tariff inclusion to our hospital price list.

Thanks
Ravikiran.N

I am not clear on what you mean by tariff inclusion. However Medicare has a list of inpatient only allowed procedures. You should be able to access the Medicare website to locate this list. It is updated periodically.

I assume he/she is just referring to updating the chargemaster. As Debra pointed out there is a list of procedures Medicare says should only be done as an inpatient and cannot be done in an ASC which could be a place to start. Technically any surgery could be scheduled as an inpatient if conditions warranted it so there is no definitive list.

Tariff definition in English

Tariff:

a tax or duty to be paid on a particular class of imports or exports.

No Tariff on medical services.

Tariff:

a tax or duty to be paid on a particular class of imports or exports.

No Tariff on medical services.

This is why I did not understand the original posts usage of the term tariff inclusions. I am not thinking it has anything to do with the charge master, so I am not really certain how answer the question appropriately.

Some countries (mainly current or former british colonies such as India) use the word tarriff to refer to a list of prices such as hotel rates, here is an example of a hotel tarriff in Goa India x http://www.palaciodegoa.com/palacio_de_goa_room_tariff.html

I only know this because i travel internationally once or twice a year and hear tarriff used as a pricing term.

Heres some additional definitions of Tarriff I found

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tariff

1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. a tax levied by a government on imports or occasionally exports for purposes of protection, support of the balance of payments, or the raising of revenue
b. a system or list of such taxes

2. any schedule of prices, fees, fares, etc

3. (Economics)
a. a method of charging for the supply of services, esp public services, such as gas and electricity: block tariff.
b. a schedule of such charges

4. (Commerce) Brit a bill of fare with prices listed; menu

5. (Law) Brit the level of punishment imposed for a criminal offence
vb (tr)

6. (Economics) to set a tariff on

7. (Economics) to set a price on according to a schedule of tariffs

Last edited:
Some countries use the word tarriff to refer to a list of prices.

the words tariff inclusion and price list were used in the same sentence so now I am more confused. Also why would a hospital in a different country need to know the U.S. inpatient procedure list. the original question is confusing so an answer is merely a conjecture of each persons interpretation. It would be helpful if the poster would clarify exactly what is being asked for.

the words tariff inclusion and price list were used in the same sentence so now I am more confused. Also why would a hospital in a different country need to know the U.S. inpatient procedure list. the original question is confusing so an answer is merely a conjecture of each persons interpretation. It would be helpful if the poster would clarify exactly what is being asked for.

I added a few more comments. The reason is outsourcing. AAPC even has testing sites in India, Philippines, UAE, Bahamas etc.

I looked at the posters older posts and they work for UnitedHealthcare and live in India (or did 2 years ago) United has locations in 33 countries, mainly USA, Philippines, India, UK, Ireland and Brazil

Last edited:
Hi Guy's,

First of all sorry for my bad English. My concern is i want to differentiate between OP and IP procedures . I don't want to know about the prices (RVu) value. The reason is in UAE annually we update the prices of procedures i mean RVu value. So i want to differentiate. Can i get any information on this in CMS website. If so please keep me posted.

I hope now you guy's can understand.

Once again sorry for my bad English.

Thank You