Wiki Diagnosis used for new patient to establish care

baskiles

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello all, what diagnosis do you use for a new patient without any issues/concerns is seen specifically to establish care. We're a family practice. Can dx Z76.89 be used or is it acceptable as a primary diagnosis?

I would have to wonder what the medical necessity of this visit is. If the patient has no medical problems or concerns and is not receiving preventive care, then what CPT are you billing to even assign a diagnosis to?

Here are some other threads discussing this as well:

Hi Basiles,
I would not use dx Z76...not ever as first listed dx. It depends what done during the visit ...meet and greet only is not worthy of reimbursement. However did patient's vitals get taken meds reviewed, organs checked such as mouth, heart, limbs,Etc. Are they getting a annual physical dx Z00 blocks, or pap Z01.401 or prostate check Z01.89 or need to lose weight see dx blocks of E66, Z68 and Z71? Is their past medical history discussed? Anyway I 'd bill for new patient CPT 99202 for 15 to 20 minutes but it must be documented what done and discussed.
I hope this helps you.
Lady T

Hello all, what diagnosis do you use for a new patient without any issues/concerns is seen specifically to establish care. We're a family practice. Can dx Z76.89 be used or is it acceptable as a primary diagnosis?
If documented correctly, Z00.00 would be appropriate. Insurance plans requiring the patient to list a PCP could be a driving force for the visit. If this is the case, document as the reason for the encounter. If the patient is new to the area and wanted to establish a rapport with a PCP, document this as the reason for the encounter. I assume the patient completed a medical history form. History codes as secondary codes would help support medical necessity. Hopefully an exam was done to establish baseline information. Were medications, if any, documented or is there documentation that the patient is not taking any medications? Is your doc going to take over any medication management? Did the patient provide past medical records for review? It all boils down to what was done and how well it was documented. If they just did a chit chat and a handshake, then your doc worked for free.