Wiki Diagnosis codes - symptoms vs. condition

mrolf

Best answers
My question is this – When billing an e/m 99213 with a modifier 25 and then an administration of IM injection 96372 along with the drug J code charge. I have a biller/coder telling me that you are to assign the symptoms of the Acute Bronchitis to the E/M (i.e. Cough) and then assign the code Acute Bronchitis to the Injection Administration 96372 and the J Code. What is the opinion of other fellow coders? I thought you would never assign symptoms that are related to the condition. I have read many Q&A by CMS that states you don't need different diagnosis codes to bill an e/m with a modifier 25. I believe this is being done to make sure payment occurs. Do other clinics receive payment by assigning the same code to the e/m and drug adm code? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

If the provider definitively diagnosed acute bronchitis in the visit, you code it as acute bronchitis. I have never had a problem with same diagnosis with a mod 25. As a result of his office visit he diagnosed bronchitis and then decided to treat with the injection. This happens quite frequently.

The coding guidelines specify that you do not code the symptoms once a definitive dx is documented. And in Appendix A of the CPT book it states a separate dx is not required for correct application of the 25 modifier.