Wiki Diabetese coding

Best answers
Hi all,
I need help with coding secondary disease or condition with diabetese diagnosis. When the doctor documents "Type 2 diabetes with neuropathy" is it ok to code 250.60 and 357.2 or do I code 250.00 and 355.9. My question arose when I read the current Coding edge page 41. In the example, the doctor's documentation used the word "with" as a connecting or linking word between diabetic and neuroligical manifestation. However, I attended a coding education presented by INGENIX that stated the word "with" is not a connecting or linking word and that the provider must use "due to" or "diabetic neuropathy." Please help with clarification.

Thanks,
Hope

I would query the MD for more details.
Based on your recent seminar at INGENIX you cannot use "with neuropathy" 250.60 would not be an appropriate code because it points to neurologic manifestations. If it were "due to neuropathy" or "diabetic neuropathy" then 250.60 and 357.2 would be appropriate.
Using code 25000"DM without complication, type II..." would not be appropriate either unless you know there are no complications.

Hi all,
I need help with coding secondary disease or condition with diabetese diagnosis. When the doctor documents "Type 2 diabetes with neuropathy" is it ok to code 250.60 and 357.2 or do I code 250.00 and 355.9. My question arose when I read the current Coding edge page 41. In the example, the doctor's documentation used the word "with" as a connecting or linking word between diabetic and neuroligical manifestation. However, I attended a coding education presented by INGENIX that stated the word "with" is not a connecting or linking word and that the provider must use "due to" or "diabetic neuropathy." Please help with clarification.

Thanks,
Hope
If your read in the coding guidelines effective October 1 2010 you will see that the word with is now defined as indicating a causal relationship so it now means the same thing as due to:
“With”
The word “with” should be interpreted to mean “associated with” or “due to” when it appears in a code title, the Alphabetic Index, or an instructional note in the Tabular List.