Wiki Diabetes management

klacour35

New
Best answers
Hello,
I am fairly new to coding Diabetes and I have came across a bump in the road. My Diabetes NP wants to charge a E/M for seeing a Diabetes pt. She then sends the pt to see a Dietician on the same day for MNT(Medical Nutrition Therapy). Can these two things (E/M and MNT) be billed together on the same day same specialty by using mod 25? I cannot find any documentation on this and I am getting different answers....Please Help!!!!

Yes, you are correct, there is not a lot of Endo coding data out there. I've had to search and search and search.

I work for an Endo office, and this is how we do our billing for MNT.

Since the E/M codes trump the dietitian, we can not bill for both the dietitian AND the Provider on the same day. It is included in the E/M code. (we do track the dietitians time, so we use an internal dummy code that has zero dollars attached). If the dietitian is seeing the patient on a DIFFERENT day of the provider, they must enter a note into the patients chart stating such.

HOWEVER, if the patient comes in on a separate day, we charge the 99211 code (that's all the higher you can go for just the MNT visit).

We also refer to the Diabetes Self Management team which offers a series of classes for diabetes nutrition. They are a separate entity from us, so therefore I can not offer any help there.

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

There are actual CPT codes for the nutritionist to use for the diet& education part, so you do not need to "settle" for a 99211. However you do need to check the CCI edits to see if these codes bundle with the E&M, I do think they do.