Wiki determining depth of an excised tumor?

Mrsrpc

Guru
Best answers
OR report reads: "A vertical incision was made in the midline. Dissection was carried down through the subcutaneous tissue where an
approximately 4 cm portion of firm, discolored, pale, grayish yellow fat was identified. This was excised in toto and passed off
of the field down to the level of the abdominal wall fascia. I could not feel any evidence or see the evidence of a hernia."

To me this means the surgeon went down BEYOND the subcutaneous tissue all the way to the abdominal wall fascia, which would be cCPT code : 22900

Is that correct? If not, why not? He/She clearly went way beyond the subQ tissue

It states they went down to the level of fascia, but does not state they went any deeper to include fascia (i.e., subfascial). I would look at CPT 22903. Also see parenthetical note after 22903 regarding the type/origin of tumor.

It states they went down to the level of fascia, but does not state they went any deeper to include fascia (i.e., subfascial). I would look at CPT 22903. Also see parenthetical note after 22903 regarding the type/origin of tumor.
See, that's what I was thinking, and that fascia encompasses the muscle tissue, but the lesson specifically said that fascia has muscle and skin in front of it in the abdomen. I figured that for purposes of coding, things were viewed differently than for clinical. (It isn't the first time I've encountered that, at least in the verbiage of the course). Thanks for the help