Wiki desperately need expert help on open wounds

Justarose

Best answers
:eek:
I am just getting comfortable in one area and this one is sooo new one to me ..please give me some of your expertise on this case - and I sincerely thank you in advance !:eek:

pt sustained knife lacerations to lt hand and rt lateral elbow.
Procedures :
#1 I & D of skin and subcutaneous tissue , deep muscle fascia of hand

#2 Exploration of radial digital nerve left index finger and ulnar digital nerve lt thumb, closure of wound measuring 6cm.

#3 I & D of skin and subcutaneous and deep fascia, right lateral and posterior elbow area with repair of partial laceration of triceps and common extensor origin w/closure over drain.

Dx:
#1 Open wound, hand w/intact radial digital nerve, index and ulnar digital nerve thumb w/partial laceration of adductor pollicis

#2 Open wound, rt elbow w/partial triceps laceration and laceration of common extensor origin.

...any and all help would be appreciated ! Thanks

I agree that it would be the repair codes, would needs to see more documentation to determine simple/intermediate vs complex though. Also looks like there are some debridements that could possibly be captured as well (11040-11044)

#1/#2 Same incision?? Was wound enlarged for exploration?? Could be 20103 (exploration) or 12042 (intermediate closure) if nerve was not repaired.

#3 Look at CPT code 24341 for the triceps tendon repair. Per #4 CPT instructions for repair codes - involvement of nerves, blood vessels and tendons should be reported under the appropriate system......

Julie, CPC

Last edited: