Wiki Dermatology - Documentation Accuracy

WHAUN

Contributor
Best answers
I am not a skilled auditor, so I was wondering if someone with more experience could chime in on how to relay something to a provider. When they see a patient of course they document the areas checked, but then under their impression/plan they'll list something like this:
1. Acral Nevus - 3 mm even dark brown macule located on the body throughout
2. Benign Nevi - Regular, symmetrical, evenly-colored macules and papules distributed on the body throughout.

The words "body throughout" are what I'm needing to address. Most of the time, when this provider documents a patient as having a benign condition (benign nevi, cherry angiomas, Lentigines, etc.), it is documented as "located on the body throughout" - lots and lots of the chart notes are documented this way.

All of the other providers in the practice document the specific location for each specific patient; they never use the words "body throughout" and the others want all providers to document the same way and be specific across the board.
Wouldn't we want to list specific locations for each specific patient? I mean, every patient that has cherry angiomas can't possibly have them all over. In addition, you wouldn't want to say a patient has it all over if they really only have it on their arms and legs....

The note needs to be specific to each patient and this general term "body throughout" could cause red flags if all patients are documented the same way. What else do/should I explain to the provider?

If your practice truly does not want 'body throughout' documented, then I would have that option removed from your EMR if possible. If the option is not there to pick, then the provider will have no choice but to pick the different body parts.
If that is not an option, then I would approach that provider as to what 'body throughout' means to them. Does it mean just more than one area and they are rushing to document and don't want to type more than one place, or does it mean literally all appendages, trunk, head, etc.? Once you understand what it means to them then you can figure out how to help them document more precisely. I would then see how to make it easier for them to pick the correct areas. Does your EMR need more options or less as I said above? Is there a shortcut you can show them if time is an issue?
Hope this helps to get the conversation going.

I didn't even think about seeing if it could be removed, that's a great idea! I will check on that. Thank you for your input!