Wiki Dental vs med insurance for oral surgery

ca_cpc

Networker
Best answers
Hi! Is there anyone out there working in oral surgery who can offer some guidance on when to bill dental insurance vs when to bill medical insurance? This is an ongoing debate in my practice, which has only recently added oral surgery to our dental unit. I'm saying that we need to be consistent with which procedures are billed to medical vs dental insurance, regardless of what insurances and coverage the patient has, but there is a general push to base it on availability per patient - for example, if it's something we usually bill to dental with CDT codes but the patient doesn't have dental insurance, or if it's a non-covered service from the dental insurance, we would bill it to medical insurance with CPT codes. I have been unable to find specific guidance on this and could really use some help.

It is my opinion that we should have a list of procedures that get billed medically, and a list of procedures that get billed dentally, and we do not cross over between the two unless the insurance company dictates that we need to. Does that sound right to others? Or is there more leeway than I think there is? I would love to be wrong for the sake of our patients, but I can't convince myself.

Thank you!

I agree, it is based on the diagnosis, not on the procedure. But I would add that medical plans usually have language that states they only cover dental services that are related to treatment for an injury to a healthy tooth. They usually do not cover services that are for any routine treatment, or dental treatments that are part of the normal aging process of the teeth. But to know for sure, you would need to contact the patients' plans and find out the specific coverage guidelines. There is so much variety in both medical and dental plans these days that I don't think there is any other sure way to know which plan will cover what.