Wiki Denials for obs admits

Best answers
This has just started to happen w/a couple of insurances. Dr will do a Cath followed by a Stent or two and then he admits them to Observation overnight. All of a sudden they are being denied for within global of 0 days, 30days or 90 day procedure. Why are they doing this. Any answer will help us to understand. I have modifier 25 on the admit. Can't use 24 because it is for the same reason the Stent was done. Thank you Nancy

Ok, so are you saying that the modifier 25 is not going to separate the Hospital visit from the Cath and Stents. I send in all notes when I bill. They are also talking about global

admission to obs

Admission to Observation is still outpatient. Stenting, is typically considered an outpatient procedure and observation of the patient post-operatively is considered a normal part of the operative package. If the patient has complications or other co-morbidities that require an admission, then you would code it accordingly. The words "admit to observation" most times is confused as "admit to inpatient stay". A facility reimbursement method changes when a patient goes inpatient and the diagnosis becomes the factor in determining the length of stay so be sure you understand the intention before assigning POS.