Wiki Delayed Closure after MOHS

armen

Best answers
How would you bill this kind of closure? I'm new to Dermatology. Im thinking about closure code with 78 modifier since it required a return to OR, however I read couple of articles suggesting to use 58 since it is planned. My problem is that Dr wants to use 79, which I think is incorrect.
If anyone could help with some kind of written reference specific to MOHS cases that would be great, but i will appreciate any answer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Armen,

None of the MOHS Surgery codes (17311-17315) have a global billing period. Modifiers -58, -78, and -79 would be used if a second or related surgery was being done during a global billing period. You should be fine billing the repair without a modifier.

Jeanette

Hi Armen,

None of the MOHS Surgery codes (17311-17315) have a global billing period. Modifiers -58, -78, and -79 would be used if a second or related surgery was being done during a global billing period. You should be fine billing the repair without a modifier.

Jeanette

Im sorry, I was talking about delayed closure after excision which has 10days global

If the delayed closure was planned and the pt is in a p/o global I always use 58 mod- that 's only if it was planned this way.

If it is a bleeder (icd-9 998.11)with wound dehiscence /repair 13160 then you would use 79
rationale : Complications, such as hematomas, wound dehiscence and postop bleeding are considered "unrelated" to the initial surgical procedure, since there are separate CPT codes/ICD-9 codes used for these services.

My point of reference is from Inga Ellzey - she is a well known dermatology coding expert (reference: Complete Coder for Dermatology) I obtained my dermatology certification through her company.

Hope this helps