Wiki Deconditioned State

With geriatric patients I often see the term "deconditioned", the closest I come is debility. Really the provider should be queried. Generally overall deconditioning is debility, but I think you have to determine the context....as Arlene asked. Muscular atrophy is a possibility.

We use 799.3 debility.

The definition for deconditioned is: to cause to lose physical fitness; whereas the definition of debility is: the state of being weak or feeble. There is a difference in what the patient's actual physical state is...so need some clarfication before giving the patient a condition they don't have.

I agree with Arlene. I have been told numerous times to use the debility code for a "deconditioning" diagnosis, (but NEVER the V code) and I do not necessarily agree. I usually query to provider to be more specific, as Arlene suggests. I see this diagnosis mostly with swingbed patients and we are trying to convince our docs to be more specifi.

We see this dx a lot in our rehabilitation facilty and we always use 799.3 for debility.