Wiki decision for surgery during a global

Boyd000

New
Best answers
Help! If a patient has surgery, comes back in and is still having pain, the provider does an MRI and decides that further, more complicated surgery is needed due to a recurrent issue, but on the same level and same dx code, can we charge for an E&M at all? A new exam was performed along with a MRI. It does mention in the note where the decision for the initial surgery was made that this could be a recurrent issue and that further more intense surgery may be required. I know that when the surgery is done that those codes will need a modifier 78. I am asking strictly for the E&M.

24 is for unrelated problem thugh and this is technically related. Would it still apply?

coder NC

For the E&M
Here is the guideline :Unrelated E&M service by the same physician during a post-operative period-This modifier can be used to indicate separately identifiable procedures on the same DOS.

If the patient was seen for another issue then I would say yes, Modifier 24 is ok to use.:)

That is the issue that we are having though, the E&M was for the same issue, during a post op but we did a new exam, an MRI and decided that additional surgery was warranted. At the decision for the first surgery it was mentioned that this could be a recurrent issue. its the same dx and it will be on the same levels of the spine.

billing it with modifier 24 would be the correct way to bill; it will deny and you will have to send notes to substantiate.