Wiki Decannulation

kimed34

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone tell me what code they are using for Decannulation? My providers insert a cannula. CPT 36822, on Day 1 of starting ECMO, CPT 33960, and then days later they decide to remove the cannula while continuing to bill 33961 for each 24 hour of ECMO. I dont' see a code for the decannulation and have been told that it is bundled into the insertion of the cannula. I can't find any documentation stating this to show my Providers so if anyone know this to be true, please tell me where I can find it. Or if it is billable, please let me know how it is being billed.

37799 Unlisted Vascular

We use the 37799 Unlisted Vascular Procedure for Decannulation from ECMO. (We are in Pediatrics - this is always done in the OR.)

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Is your office getting paid for the Decannulation using the Unlisted code? Particularly, concerning Medicaid?

With documentation

I can't tell you off the top of my head ... but I believe that we are successful when we have clear documentation.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post anyway...

Per CPT® Assistant February 1997 Volume 7 Issue 2

There is not a specific CPT code for decannulation of ECMO. The appropriate code to use for this procedure is 37799, Unlisted procedure, vascular surgery. When using an unlisted code, send a copy of the procedure note or report along with the claim, to explain the service performed.

Cystoscopy with Decannulation

I am trying to find a cpt code to be able to bill this. I am very new in Urology coding and trying to find out if you can bill for decannulation ? Help please.