Wiki debridment codes

Kreismann

Best answers
Hi,

I am totally confused with all the debridement codes. What code should be used for debridement of dermis/epidermis and what should be used for subcutaneous tissue?

I would use 97597 for dermis/epidermis and 11042 for subcutaneous tissue.

I was told the code 97597 is used only when a non-physician is performing the procedure. I don't see this comment anywhere in the cpt book.

Thank you!
Kristi:)

Article...

Hi,

I am totally confused with all the debridement codes. What code should be used for debridement of dermis/epidermis and what should be used for subcutaneous tissue?

I would use 97597 for dermis/epidermis and 11042 for subcutaneous tissue.

I was told the code 97597 is used only when a non-physician is performing the procedure. I don't see this comment anywhere in the cpt book.

Thank you!
Kristi:)

In researching these same codes recently, I came across the following article which helped clarify their usage for me. Hope it can help you as well :)

http://www.todayswoundclinic.com/debridement-dilemma-returns?page=2

Debridement

Hi

I have a CPT code 11042 (2 units) and 11043. Is it possible to bill CPT11042 with number of units or does it have to be billed with separate line item. Also which modifier is required for this.

The CPT book states in multiple wounds, sum the surface area of those wounds that are at the same depth, but do not combine sums from different depths. For the 11042, if the total surface area is 20 sq cm or less only 1 code, if greater than 20 sq cm use 11045 for each additional 20 sq. cm.

The code doesn't have anything to do with what type of provider did the service, selective debridement only means that the wound didn't change in size.
Hope this helps....