Wiki Debridement of Ganglion Cyst

Sara82

Guru
Best answers
My Dr did an arthroscopic surgery where all he did was debridement of the ganglion cyst adjacent to the PCL and ACL and removed any ganglion-like fluid that had came from it. Ive coded for removal of the ganglion cyst but this is the first Ive come across where he just debrided it. Would I code this as 29877?

No, I am sorry, 29877 is not correct in my openion. It is a code for debridement of an ARTICULAR CARTILAGE . Ganglion is not cartilage.
GANGLION REMOVAL-BY EXCESION OR ENMASSREMOVAL OR DEBRIDEMENT, IS NOT THAT OF A CARTLAGE.

I would more closely give the code 29874- for removal of loose body or foreign body (eg)...... Ganglion near that joint can be considered as loose body .
Again removal enmass or in piece mils or as debridement of a ganglion cyst is going more towards "excision of the ganglion by arthroscopic procedure.
BUT,
If there was infection/- and he drained it (ASPIRATION), you could go for 29871- infection, lavage and drainage, AFTER enquiring him about whether he did lavage and drainage of the infected ganglion. I fthis is ruled out then , it has all the more merits for 29874.
Would this help you better.

Last edited: