Wiki Debridement Coding

fretz1973

Contributor
Best answers
Okay I am new to the forum and I am studying to take my cpc and one of the questions in my book is on coding a debridement for a dragging accident to both palms according to the book the answer is 11042, 97597-59. But in my cpt book at the bottom of that section it states to not report 11040-11044bin conjunction with 97597-97602. So now I am very confused I didnt pick this answer because it said not to code together. Can anyone please help me understand this because I must of misunderstood when it stated do not report in conjuction. I thought that meant do not code together....

Melissa: You would use the 11042 code if the debridement is in the subcutaneous tissue. The 97597 and 97598 codes are used more for wound care or a debridement only for the top two layers of the skin. You would not code both.
With skin, depth matters. How deep is the debridement? Subcutaneous or just skin, the epidermis and dermal layers.

Since both palms were debrided, the wounds on one palm may have required a different depth of debridement from the other palm. The note under Active Wound Care Management states do not report 97597-97602 in conjunction with 11042-11047 for the same wound.

Does your study question include the depth(s) of debridement? The modifier 59 on the lesser valued procedure informs the payer of the distinct service performed on a different injury.

debridement

they are two separate wounds right palm was minimal and left was to the subcutaneous. thanks for clearing up that the rule only applies to same wound not separate wounds. makes sense now:D