Wiki Deaf and Hard of Hearing Interpreter

Best answers
We have a new patient scheduled soon who is deaf. She is insisting that we provide an interpreter and that Medicare will reimburse for that. It has not been my experience that this is a covered benefit of Medicare. Perhaps I am coding it incorrectly??

How do you code a new patient consult and provision of an interpreter?

I know this is much more than what you asked but:

Do I have the right to a certified sign language interpreter?

No. Although there are national accreditation and certification bodies for sign language interpreters, your doctor is not required to provide an accredited or certified sign language interpreter. If a sign language interpreter is necessary to assure you effective communication and equal access and quality of service, your doctor is only required to provide you a sign language interpreter who is qualified according to the standards of the profession.

Can my doctor charge me the cost of a sign language interpreter?

No. Under the federal laws (ADA and Section 504), if a sign language interpreter is necessary to assure you effective communication and provide you equal access and quality of services, your doctor must pay for the sign language interpreter. Your doctor is not allowed to bill you for that expense. Ohio's law (Chapter 4112) does not require places of public accommodation like your doctor's office to pay for a sign language interpreter and other auxiliary aids. However, Ohio law prohibits discrimination based on disability in the form of denied access to treatment. In some cases the refusal to pay for a sign language interpreter effectively denies access to a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, and could violate Ohio law.

http://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/right-to-sign-interpret#right

http://downloads.cms.gov/cmsgov/archived-downloads/SMDL/downloads/sho10007.pdf

We have a deaf child who uses sign language and his mom still insist we hire an interpreter when he is seen in our office. We have to pay one, even though his mother is her and she can hear, and sign to the child. This is abusing the system.

No I don't think it is abuse, the mother wants to be certain the child is getting exactly what the child needs to hear. With children it is sometimes necessary to have them obtain information from a non parent source, this is true for hearing as well as non hearing patients. I agree with this mother that an interpreter be provided.