Wiki Data reviewed pathology

ltl226

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

I was asked today if reviewing 10 pathology reports count as each data point? The question is: “when requesting medical records, is each biopsy path report it’s own data?” I am not sure reviewing 10 pathology reports count as 10 points of data reviewed.

Any help or information would be great!

Thank you,
Laura

If you are reviewing prior external notes, you count each unique source. So if patient went to a dermatologist and had 4 biopsies, and another dermatologist and had 6 biopsies, you have 2 data points for "review of prior external note(s) from each unique source."
From the AMA 2021 Outpatient E/M Guidelines:
Unique: A unique test is defined by the CPT code set. When multiple results of the same unique test (eg, serial blood glucose values) are compared during an E/M service, count it as one unique test. Tests that have overlapping elements are not unique, even if they are identified with distinct CPT codes. For example, a CBC with differential would incorporate the set of hemoglobin, CBC without differential, and platelet count. A unique source is defined as a physician or qualified heath care professional in a distinct group or different specialty or subspecialty, or a unique entity. Review of all materials from any unique source counts as one element toward MDM.

Thank you so much for your response. I do not deal with the data category often and want to make sure I am giving an accurate answer.

Thank you,
Laura