Wiki CRNA coding question

akj

Guru
Best answers
My CRNA department turned in two procedures to code for the same patient with overlapping times. When I questioned the CRNA coordinator, I was instructed the patient started out in the EP lab for a CV ICD dual chamber implantation. Patient had complication during this procedure and was transported to main OR for cardiac surgery. According to the coordinator, anesthesia care was continuous, CRNA never left the patient?s side.

I am inclined to bill this as one procedure as the care was continuous, with the procedure code bearing the higher base units. The reason I am second guessing myself is because though there is continuous care, the services were provided in two separate locations. Should I break the times and bill as two separate services?

If anesthesia time is continuous they cannot break into 2 codes. The Anesthesia didn't end until the patient is passed off over to recovery and CRNA or Anesthesiologist is no longer in personal attendance.

The base units include the pre-op and post-op anesthesia work. If it were broken into 2 codes you would be billing for 2 pre-ops and 2 post-ops when only one of each were performed.