Wiki Critical Care for twins/same physician

Lisa Bledsoe

True Blue
Best answers
I have not done Peds coding in quite some time. One physician provided critical care prior to transfer, on both twins. I don't see how I can code critical care for the same physician on twins at the same time based on the critical care guidelines on page 23 of the 2012 CPT Professional edition. Any suggestions?

Not sure what you're saying

I'm not sure what you're saying, but I'm thinking maybe you are referring to the part of the guidelines that state the physician has to devote his/her full attention to the patient and not be caring for other patients at the same time ... is that right?

Without seeing all the documentation it's hard to say what's accurate.

If you don't have documentation of at least 30 minutes critical care provided to each patient individually, then you'll have to use other newborn codes. You can still use resuscitation, if that was done ...

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Hi Tessa - yes, that is what I am referring to. I have 2 separate notes for each patient with time documented, but the same physician provided all of the care to both babies at the same time. But given the fact that she took care of them both at the same time negates critical care to me. Would you agree?