Wiki Credentials advice needed

sleepycats

Guru
Best answers
Hi,

I will have the A removed from my credentials in two weeks!!!! I intend to obtain more credentials for several reasons; eduation, job security and marketability, and would like to attain most of them before the ICD-10 conversion.

1. Is it beneficial to obtain the CCS? I've heard it is comparable to the CPC and it would be redundant to be a CCS too.

2. Is it too ambitious to test for the CPC-H and CCS in the same year? I took a 6 month class and am about to complete 1 year of work experience. So I am fairly new to coding with no previous medical field experience. I did pass the CPC exam on the first try if that makes any difference.

3. Is a RHIT or RHIA a good move?

4. Does anyone have any thoughts on or experiences with auditing certifications?

I would like to enhance my coding career with smart decisions concerning certifications and education, so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

Where does one begin to answer all of your questions.... I am a strong believer in education and continuing education. There is no one that knows everything there is about coding, which is why it is such a ongoing educational adventure. Only you can decide if you are ready to continue obtaining certifications. I have 20 years in coding & billing and became certified in 2001, and you can see what I have done from there by my credentials.

In regards to obtaining credentials from others such as AHIMA that is again your decision. I have managed to have a very successful career with my credentials from the AAPC.

Sometimes it helps to set a goal or career path for yourself to decide which direction you should go next. There are so many directions you can take with your credential, but again only you can decide what works for you. Good Luck.