Wiki cpt vs hcpcs

chaimz

Best answers
Are cpt codes the same thing as hcpc level 2?

When would I go to hcpcs instead of cpt for a service, and how do i find the hcpcs modifiers in the hcpcs book?

Can a hcpcs modifier be used with a cpt code? On the practice exams, one answer has a cpt 5 digit code bring used with a hcpcs modifier - qs.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The HCPCS modifiers are listed in the Appendix 2 in the AAPC HCPCS book, it is in the black section page 23(they start here).

Are cpt codes the same thing as hcpc level 2?

When would I go to hcpcs instead of cpt for a service, and how do i find the hcpcs modifiers in the hcpcs book?

Can a hcpcs modifier be used with a cpt code? On the practice exams, one answer has a cpt 5 digit code bring used with a hcpcs modifier - qs.

Thanks.

CPT codes are HCPC level 1 and are created by the AMA, HCPC II codes are level 2 and are created by CMS. If there is an analogous code in CPT and HCPC II then for Medicare you use the HCPC II code instead of the CPT code. Other HCPC II codes are for Non-Medicare payers, and others are for DME and drugs. yes you can use HCPC II modifiers on CPT codes especially for Medicare, however you should check with commercial payers before assuming they will be accepted.

how do i find the hcpcs modifiers in the hcpcs book? I do not see them anywhere.