Wiki CPT for Debridement

Petisa

Best answers
Hello

One of our CT surgeons did a complicated case yesterday. One of the procedures was: Extensive debridement of the posterior leaflet annulus to remove calcuim.

Looking up Debridement in the index and I cannot seem to find an appropriate code.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Carolina

Hello

One of our CT surgeons did a complicated case yesterday. One of the procedures was: Extensive debridement of the posterior leaflet annulus to remove calcuim.

Looking up Debridement in the index and I cannot seem to find an appropriate code.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Carolina

Hmmmm, maybe 11043? If not, then I would consider using a modifier 22. You stated it was a complicated case, so if that is well documented and you or your physician do not agree with 11043, 22 is an option.

I wouldn't recommend using 11043 as this code is from the integumentary system and involves specifically that area of anatomy. In most of the coding for heart valve repairs, de-calcifying the annulus is an integral part of the major surgery performed. If the surgery performed was a valve replacement this would just be a part of that procedure and not separately reportable. Without reading the op report it's hard to advise but hope this helps a little!

Happy Coding!
V Davis CPC CGIC