Wiki CPT Code 27488

stacyciccone

Networker
Best answers
A group of Surg/Centers (that we work with) are asking us to add CPT 27488 to the Total Joint Replacement category. My feeling is that this code only involves the removal of a previously implanted prosthesis which does not include replacement. I would like some insight on this please.

Thank you!!

Correct, this code is removal of the prosthesis with or without insertion of spacer. Essentially, removal of the knee prosthesis without concurrent replacement.
If removal of a knee prosthesis and replacement is performed in the same surgical session, that is either 27486 or 27487.

What is their reasoning for wanting to do this? They do "live" in the same section of the CPT book but it is not definitive replacement. The patient goes back later and they remove the abx spacer and insert the new, final prosthesis. Sometimes it takes multiple spacers. I have also seen where a patient actually just lives with the spacer but this is not common.

What is their reasoning for wanting to do this? They do "live" in the same section of the CPT book but it is not definitive replacement. The patient goes back later and they remove the abx spacer and insert the new, final prosthesis. Sometimes it takes multiple spacers. I have also seen where a patient actually just lives with the spacer but this is not common.
Not sure of the reasoning but I agree that in the CPT book it is not definitive replacement. Thank you for your feedback.

Correct, this code is removal of the prosthesis with or without insertion of spacer. Essentially, removal of the knee prosthesis without concurrent replacement.
If removal of a knee prosthesis and replacement is performed in the same surgical session, that is either 27486 or 27487.
Thank you - I agree with your findings as well.

My thoughts are the removal 27488 would be included in the revision 27486 or 27487.
After extensive research - according to the AMA, cpt code 27488 falls under the category range of Repair, Revision, and/or Reconstruction Procedures on the Femur and Knee Joint and not total joint replacement. Thank you for responding - I appreciate the feedback.