Wiki Cpt 99058

chrissyr

Contributor
Best answers
Does anyone bill for CPT 99058, Provided on Emergency Basis? My organization is trying to decide if we could bill for this when trauma type patients present for care in our Urgent Care center. Just wondering if anyone has billed it, received reimbursement for it, etc......
Thanks!

It must disrupt the schedule and should not be used when its normal to leave spots open for urgent cases. Since urgent care is typically a walk in clinic, I don't believe this code could be applicable to any situation.

99058 Peds

I work for a pediatrician. A mother comes in with 3 children, only one on the schedule. That child is positive for Strep. Per the request of the mother, Physician puts other two children on the schedule to swab for strep. Physician wants to use 99058. I disagree. What do you think? Is it a billable code? Is a positive strep considered an "emergency?" TIA

I work for a pediatrician. A mother comes in with 3 children, only one on the schedule. That child is positive for Strep. Per the request of the mother, Physician puts other two children on the schedule to swab for strep. Physician wants to use 99058. I disagree. What do you think? Is it a billable code? Is a positive strep considered an "emergency?" TIA

Scenario 1 from the following article from the AAP matches your situation. It would not warrant billing of 99058.

http://www.aappublications.org/content/29/7/30

I work for a psychiatrist and he was asking the same thing. We don't have "reserved" slots for emergency appointments. so we pretty much have a full schedule all the time. If one of our mental health patients calls and says they need an appointment because they are having suicidal thoughts, would that count as a 99058 or is there a better code to use in that situation?