Wiki CPT -58/62 or CPT -62,58?

I've been told that when you have multiple modifiers, you list the modifier that effects reimbursement first. The problem I have with that is that alot of modifiers effect reimbursement!

I guess in this example you could say that -62 should go first because this modifier directly effects reimbursement and -58 is just telling the payer that this was a planned procedure during the global period.

Of course, depending on what kind of code editing software you have, the charge may hit an edit if the -58 is not first because you will be billing for a procedure during a global period.

I say go with 62/58 and see what happens. :)

Lisi, CPC
eharkler@nmh.org

I really think that in this case 58 should go first. Because if the patient is in the post op period, and a related surgery is billed, it will most likely deny global without a modifier 58 (or 78 or 79). 62 will reduce your payment, but the lack of it won't cause your claim to deny. I believe you do want to put the ones that affect reimbursement first, but you want to prevent an unnecessary denial, so put the modifier that will do that first. At least that's what I think anyway.