Wiki CPT 27698

Best answers
Hello, First off, this is a chronic condition, so it is a secondary repair. I have a provider that is performing a Brostrom ligament reconstruction of ATFL and CFL ligaments. I am finding conflicting information on whether CPT code includes both ligaments and whether CPT code 27698 should be coded with two units in this scenario or just one. My office uses Enoder Pro and the lay description says:
Lay Description (Code):
Hide/UnHide
transparent.gif

This procedure reports a secondary repair of a disrupted collateral ligament of the ankle. Secondary repair is done sometime after the incident of injury or following a previous surgical repair. There are several techniques, including Watson-Jones, Evan and Chrisman-Snook. In a Watson-Jones repair, an ankle incision is made and the peroneus brevis tendon divided and mobilized. It is passed through drill holes in the talus and fibular malleolus to reconstruct both the calcaneofibular and anterior talofibular ligaments (lateral collateral ligament). An Evans procedure involves mobilizing the peroneus brevis tendon and passing it through a drill hole in the lateral fibular malleolus to reconstruct the collateral ligament. A Chrisman-Snook procedure involves dividing the peroneus brevis tendon and using it in the repair of the collateral ligament.

However, the actual code description says:1717690406948.png

There is an MUE of 1, but the MUE Adjudicator is 3, so looks like it would be ok to appeal with separate ligaments. I would love some input from anyone.. Thank you in advance!