Wiki CPR bundled with an EGD?

allison_w_99

Contributor
Best answers
Scenario:

patient admitted with multiple cardiac conditions and also shows signs of a GI bleed. The doctor schedules an EGD the next day. After the procedure was complete, the patient went into cardiac arrest and the doctor spent >30 minutes performing the CPR. The arrest is listed as a complication of the procedure on the OP note. My coworker says this would be bundled but the CPR was distinct d/t the extended nature and not included in the work of the EGD. Need another professional opinion please help

Last edited:
So...it is my understanding that for endoscopies, the global concept applies to the day of the procedure. According to Medicare regulations, the CPR couldn't have been bundled if the complication occurred after the procedure was complete since the patient was coding and later transferred to the ICU after the CPR. A procedure done for treatment for complications can't be bundled if it requires a "return trip to the OR" or if the patient is so critical that there is no time to transfer the patient. Based on the way the documentation is worded, I would infer that they had already taken the patient out of the endoscopy suite when the complication occurred but this is something I would have to question the provider about to confirm. This was just my instinct all along but I did not know the specifics of the Medicare regulations to back me up on this particular issue. I don't know...this is still just so iffy but assuming this is the case, please advise! :eek:

Last edited: