Wiki CPMA Prep- Any Insight?

Ahillmann

Best answers
Hello. I am new to AAPC but not coding. I am preparing to take the CPMA exam and have a question about any preparation that would be helpful beyond the online program.

I have the Carol Buck book (2015 The Next Step) but am finding inconsistencies. I have been told to put aside what I know and try to approach this as completely theoretical (i.e., disregard bundling and edit knowledge, just go with the information on the page.) Also, I seem to be finding some inconsistencies with element counting in the E&M practice coding in this book.

Are there any particular sites I could turn to to prepare for the exam? Those who have taken the exam, did you find the online preparation helpful? What else would you recommend. I am googling until I'm silly!

Thank you for any advice.

Anne

I took the exam in July and thankfully passed it on the first attempt. I took the online course that the AAPC offered and also purchased the study guide. The course and study guide included chapter tests and practice exams that I went over several times. Make sure to know the laws, documentation requirements. E&M and chemotherapy were important to know. Also know the guidelines, NCCI edits, MUEs and things like that. There were also reports to code, mostly E&M and surgery.

Good luck!
Mary Wells, CPC, CPMA, RCC

I took the CPMA test last August and passed on the first try. I used the study guide and the online course offered through AAPC. I honestly don't think I could have passed the test without the online course. The course seemed to highlight the areas that you really needed to know, and I also loved having the end of chapter tests. They helped a lot.

Thank you. I started the online course and so far so good. Were there questions regarding OIG/RACs etc that were not covered within the course material/ need to go to websites and really know with depth the information? It seems to be skimming at a fairly basic level.

Everything I needed to know was either in the online course or in the study guide that I purchased separately. I think I got as much if not more from the study guide.