Wiki CPCO and benefits?

JVILLAS

Networker
Best answers
Anyone with this credential that think they benefited from it versus not doing it? Does anyone have any other credential other than the CPC or CCS that were glad they did it?

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

I have my CDEO and I am glad I got it. It did have more compliance on it than I expected but it is really good knowledge. The Compliance department at my work will accept this in place of the CPCO and it offers me other area of opportunity.

Anyone with this credential that think they benefited from it versus not doing it? Does anyone have any other credential other than the CPC or CCS that were glad they did it?

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer
I don't have that one, however I think it would be good if you want to work in the compliance department or be a compliance officer. I am not sure it would really help for general coding or subspecialty coding. It is good knowledge to have. It depends on what you want to do. I have thought about it but that's not the direction I want to go and I no longer work directly in a practice compliance related department. If you work in compliance, training, regulatory affairs, etc. it may be worth it. I am thankful for the ones I earned. You have to look at what you want to do and the direction you would like to go. For example, every specialty credential I got was 100% relevant to what I was doing at the time I earned it. What type of role to you eventually want to end up in?

"AAPC's Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO) credential addresses the ever-growing compliance requirements of government laws, regulations, rules, and guidelines. Medical practices need staff who can develop, organize, manage, and direct the functions of a compliance department.
By passing the CPCO exam, employers recognize you possess an understanding of the key requirements necessary to effectively develop, implement, and monitor a healthcare compliance program for your practice based on governmental regulatory guidelines — including internal compliance reviews, audits, risk assessments, and staff education and training."

I have my CDEO and I am glad I got it. It did have more compliance on it than I expected but it is really good knowledge. The Compliance department at my work will accept this in place of the CPCO and it offers me other area of opportunity.
interesting, thanks for your input

I don't have that one, however I think it would be good if you want to work in the compliance department or be a compliance officer. I am not sure it would really help for general coding or subspecialty coding. It is good knowledge to have. It depends on what you want to do. I have thought about it but that's not the direction I want to go and I no longer work directly in a practice compliance related department. If you work in compliance, training, regulatory affairs, etc. it may be worth it. I am thankful for the ones I earned. You have to look at what you want to do and the direction you would like to go. For example, every specialty credential I got was 100% relevant to what I was doing at the time I earned it. What type of role to you eventually want to end up in?

"AAPC's Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO) credential addresses the ever-growing compliance requirements of government laws, regulations, rules, and guidelines. Medical practices need staff who can develop, organize, manage, and direct the functions of a compliance department.
By passing the CPCO exam, employers recognize you possess an understanding of the key requirements necessary to effectively develop, implement, and monitor a healthcare compliance program for your practice based on governmental regulatory guidelines — including internal compliance reviews, audits, risk assessments, and staff education and training."
Thanks for your input, I am in peds but I am trying to put a compliance book together and realized there's so much I need to know.