Wiki Cpc study guide

Best answers
Hi, can someone please explain to me how to look up the correct terms when you are coding for a surgical procedure? I have the study guide but when I'm reading the scenario I think I know what to look for and choose my answer it's wrong. when I look at the rationale I'm not in the right area. these are the ones in the study guide without the multiple choice answers. thanks for any tips you might be able to share.

Just a little bit of my approach.

You have to look at the approach of the surgery and understand the way each section of the CPT book is laid out. Aspiration, Biopsy, Incision, Excision, removal, Laparoscopy, Hysteroscopy, Arthroscopic...etc...., also site/location.
For example...the Knee...Was it performed arthroscopically (portal incisions to accomodate the scope}? Then look at the 298XX codes or not performed arthroscopic see the 273XX codes. My advice to you would be to understand the layout of the CPT book. Highlight any words that would help code certain situations....a good example would be CPT code 29827. Arthroscopy, shoulder, rotator cuff repair. You'll see in parenthesis (for open or mini-open rotator cuff repair, use 23412).

You may want to add little notes in a section to remind you to look at certain codes.....for example..in the Hand/wrist section....write 64721 for a carpal tunnel repair.

Dealing with the integumentary you have to also pay attention to depth. if a tumor is subq or subfascial you may find yourself in the musculoskeletal section.

My advice is read the CPT book...yeah exciting, I know. But the sections have great info.