Wiki Cpc-h

Vsavalia

New
Best answers
Hello

I am taking CPC H by end of this month. Please share your experience if any one have taken this test earlier.
thank you in advance

Vimal Savalia

Hi there. I just took it and was surprised to have passed! The test really is too long. I was one of the only people in the room who even took a break, and I was sorry I did because I almost didn't finish. So bring food and drink cause you can have it at the table. Good luck!

It's been along time since I took the test but I remember it as not a terrible experience. In fact, I thought it was easier because it did not include E&M (which I did have to code when I took the CPC exam). There are outpatient coding and billing questions so pay attention to those.

I teach review classes for my local chapter. I find there are two main reasons why people don't pass the test (other than not knowing the materials). One is time management and the other is not reading the questions, and answers, carefully. The difference between lymphangitis and lymphedema can be easily overlooked! I've heard of some people marking the questions in their books with either a +, a -, or a 0. The + is for questions answered easily and you move on. The - is for questions where you haven't a clue and you come back to them later (in the absence of wasting too much time) and the 0 is for those you're just not sure - you can either take some time to find the answer or come back later. It sounds confusing but actually works pretty well.

Good luck!

Linda Martien, CPC, CPC-H CPMA

I see where they recommend the ICD vol 1-3. I thought the ICD 9 procedures were only for inpatient. I know some organizations use it for
data purposes. Are you tested on ICD 9 procedure codes, I have been
told no but can not get a clear answer. I know CPT would be required,
Thank you in advance for any help with this.
Janice Carr, CPC

CPC-H Study Guide

Did you purchase the study guide through AAPC? Did it help with the exam? I am interested in buying a USED study guide. Let me know if you want to sell yours if you pass!! Good Luck, I will be interested to know how it was. I took the CEMC exam and it was harder than the CPC! Hope that isn't the case for this exam.

There are no questions on the CPC-H for Volume 3 of ICD-9.

The test has some very long winded questions and time management is definitely your friend. Knowing when to move on from a question is important. You should try to immediately eliminate two of the answers as in almost all of the questions there are two answers that are clearly wrong.

Honestly, I didn't "code" for the test, as it is multiple choice which means the solutions are right in front of you I simply would look for the differences in the answers and eliminated the ones with codes that were wrong. I was able to complete the test in about 3 hours and have plenty of time to go back and review some that I was uncertain on which I marked on the paper. I know this strategy won't work for everyone as everyone takes test differently but trying to actually code the scenario by going to the index then the tabular is not entirely practical at all because you have just a little over 2 mins per question.

Daniel Rowden CCS, CPC-H

Last edited:
Thank you. I thought I was correct on Vol 3 in testing for CPC-H. I wish I had
taken it right after I took my CPC!
Now to refresh my test taking skills !!!
Janice Carr, CPC