Wiki CPC-H vs. CCS

jwangelin

Contributor
Best answers
I recently passed the CPC exam, and am beginning to look for work. However, I am finding that a lot of jobs are asking that you have CCS credentials. I was just wondering what the difference is between CPC-H and CCS. I am debating whether I should keep going and get either my CPC-H or CCS credentials. Are there online classes to become a CCS?

I recently passed the CPC exam, and am beginning to look for work. However, I am finding that a lot of jobs are asking that you have CCS credentials. I was just wondering what the difference is between CPC-H and CCS. I am debating whether I should keep going and get either my CPC-H or CCS credentials. Are there online classes to become a CCS?

They are two very different credentials. CPC-H does not touch on inpatient hospital coding whereas CCS requires an in depth knowledge of DRG's and everything else that goes with hospital coding. CPC-H is for facility coding, and to be quite honest it is very similar to the CPC in many ways. Modifier usage and knowledge of payment systems being some of the main differences.
The CCS, as well as being multiple choice, also has some fill in the answer questions, but the biggest difference being the reports you have to actually code. Some of these are IP charts which can contain a lot of information from which you have to extract every procedure performed during the stay, as well as POA and admitting Dx, and conditions treated during the stay.
Bear in mind also that IP hospital procedure codes are all going to be more challenging when ICD-10 comes in. Not only do the coders have to know ICD-10 Dx codes but they also have to learn completely new procedure codes since CPT codes are not used for IP coding.
It is very challenging. Go to the AHIMA website and you will see study guides for the CCS if you're interested.

My personal opinion is, if the jobs you are looking at require a CCS, you are looking at the wrong jobs. As a new CPC coder, you need to look at Physician office jobs, all of which should require a CPC.

The CCS tests mastery level knowledge of both in and outpatient coding.

Cordelia, DRG Auditor, CCS, CPC

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice. I have been coding in a physicians office for 3 years and finally had the time and energy to take the CPC exam and passed. However, I was hoping to find a remote coding job so that I could do some work from home, but it seems that all of the remote jobs want you to have the CCS credentials. I guess I should have been more specific in my original post. Are there remote jobs out there for those of us who have only CPC credentials? :)

For ways to move into hospitals there are many. I am a coding supervisor with 46 direct reports in a three hospital network. While we usually require a CCS, RHIT or RHIA for a coder I have seen CPC-H coders hired in the hospital setting as outpatinet coders with the caveat that they obtain the CCS within a year of hire. Another hospital I used to work at hires CPC coders (they have an inpatient CPC) who have experience. One way would be to get into the door coding ED charts or something similar then ask to be cross-trained on inpatient. Getting the foot in the door is the most important step (and the most difficult) but once you get in and prove you're a good worker hospitals will generally go out of their way to train and retain you. Coders are worth their weight in gold in a hospital.

Remote coding is very common now for hospital coders so my advice if that is your goal is to get the CPC-H and try to get in the door coding ED or Ancillary charts then after some time express an interest in inpatient coding. Then when you get some experience you can take the CCS.

Last edited: