Wiki CPC Exam

abrodskycpc

Networker
Best answers
Hello all,

I am taking my CPC exam March 1st. I have already tabbed, bubbled and highlighted my 2013 CPT manual. Does anyone know of a list of all of the 2014 coding changes I can update In my manual? So I do not have to buy a new one and re-do all of my work?

Wow..there have been many many updates for 2014, but waaayyy too many to list here.

:eek:
Hello all,

I am taking my CPC exam March 1st. I have already tabbed, bubbled and highlighted my 2013 CPT manual. Does anyone know of a list of all of the 2014 coding changes I can update In my manual? So I do not have to buy a new one and re-do all of my work?

You really need to get 2014 CPT and HCPCS manuals. Trying to work from a changes list is going to slow you down on the test and will be confusing. There are large sections of codes that have changed. Plus, I'm not even certain that they will let you into the exam with 2013 books. ICD9 is ok, but not CPT. You can be 100% sure that some of the new codes will be on the test. Sorry about the extra work and $, but it's something that comes with being a coder.

They will let you in using 2013 books, but it is in your best interest to have current year code books. It will be well worth the money spent. :)

I completely agree with the other poster's, you really need to take the CPC Exam with 2014 books as there will be questions that may involve specific code descriptions and rules/guidelines and parenthetical information you need to answer a question correctly, not simply the codes themselves. You cannot re-write your 2013 books with all of the potential changes for 2014.

If you cannot afford to get a 2014 book (check the AAPC bookstore and see if they are on sale first), or call the testing proctors and see if they have a book you can borrow during the test. See if a friend would lend you theirs for the test if possible. As a former chapter President I always brought my books as someone always had older code books and needed a boost.

Your success may be affected by one question that a 2014 book would have been in your best interest to use. It's part of the job to be prepared with the right tools, this is an expense you will need to plan for. But I do empathize with the cost, been there done that and struggled hard to get where I am.

Good Luck!!!!

There were 320 changes to the 2014 CPT book. It would be worth the $$ to just buy a new one.