Wiki CPC exam this Saturday!

Crystal1814

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I will be taking the CPC exam this Saturday. I am really nervous, and honestly reading some of these posts are discouraging to say the least. I graduated with an associates degree in 2016 with honors, awards, and helped other students pass the coding classes. Well now I feel like I am learning it all over again. I worked so hard for this, but when reading these posts about people failing the exam I feel like I don't have a chance. I wish I would have taken this exam when I was doing really well at coding in College.

I purchased the practice exams and my scores are practice A: 76% B: 74% C: 80%. Here is my second attempt practice A: 80% B: 84% C: 76%. Then my third practice A: 90% B: 94% C: 88%

What do you guys think? I don't feel like these practice exams will be enough for the real CPC exam. I see the CPC exam being much more difficult. In College coding was a lot harder than these practice exams we didn't have multiple choice either and I passed chart abstracting with a 95%. I have friends who did not pass, and while at the exam people were telling her she will not pass because they have already tried 6 times. I will make sure I don't talk to anyone, because that is the worst thing someone telling you your not going to pass. I love coding well I would say its a love hate relationship lol. I worked really hard in college, and exceeded my own expectations. But, again I just don't even know what to expect, or if the exam is even close to the practice exams.

Thanks everyone I would really appreciate your input!

Last edited:
Exam

I think you are on the right track...If you are pulling those scores on the practice exams and doing it under time I think you will be fine. that is exactly how I prepared for my exam. It is what I tell everyone to do to prep. Remember also, do not second guess yourself. You will do great!

Kathyrn Pfennig-Florez, CPC, CMC

CPC exam

Time management is definitely my problem. I am completing the practice exams in exactly the time we have for the real exam if not a few minutes behind.

I also have a real problem with second guessing myself, and usually I am right the first time. Even in College I sat on a case for a full day once falling asleep while looking at it, because the instructor told us we weren't likely to get it right. Therefore, I told myself there is no way I came up with such a difficult code selection that quick and that it has to be wrong. My codes were right the whole time, and I almost changed them. I am just really bad at telling myself I'm wrong. I'm hard on myself when it comes to coding.

Is the real CPC exam similar to the practice exams, or harder? I really don't want to go in there thinking I'm good, and end up failing.

Believe in yourself - it can be done! I passed on the first attempt. Please check out this thread...I just recently made a similar post:

https://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forums/152201-studying-cpc-exam.html

I can tell from your post you already understand coding. The exam is NOT about coding. If you were coding, you would abstract from the case and go find a code. However, just like the practice exams, you are given the answers in multiple-guess format. All you need to do is determine which of them is the best answer. What's the difference between the codes? Which of the answers is wrong because it doesn't conform to the guidelines? Which of the answers is wrong because it conflicts with the parenthetical note? Which of the answers is wrong because it's the wrong approach (open surgery vs scope)? What the exam IS about is your ability to understand and apply the guidelines and know "why" the answer is correct.

Make notes in your books, highlight, add tabs ... whatever it takes to find your way around quickly to the info you need. Best of luck!

Time management tips

I passed my first try 2 years ago (pre-ICD10) with really only subspecialty experience and doing MOST of the CPC prep course.
Here are my time management tips, most of which others have recommended in other posts:
1) Bring sticky note flags with you in at least 2 different colors. Go through the exam start to finish. Answer everything you know. Questions you probably know, but are just time consuming, flag with 1 color. Questions you are simply unsure about, flag with other color. Once you get to the end, go back to your flagged questions.
2) Difficult questions (either time consuming or uncertain of answer). Try working backwards. Look at the possible answers. For example, if 1 choice includes an add on code without the base code, that can't be the answer. If you can rule out 2 of the choices, you then have a 50/50 chance just by guessing.
3) Tab and mark up your books. Once you are this close to the exam, you are not really going to learn significant additional amounts of information. Spend your time reviewing your books and familiarizing yourself with the sections. I noted in each section where the appropriate diagrams were in both that book & the other.
4) Don't bring a buffet with you, but definitely bring water to sip and some candy or mints. I personally love the soft melt peppermints and found they kept me alert. I stayed away from coffee/caffeine because I did not want to get jittery.
5) SORT KWIK (can buy in an office supply store like Staples). I swear by it. It's a little container of a pink gummy like substance you rub into your fingers to give you long-lasting grip. Much better than licking your finger. The pages of both the CPT and ICD10 books are paper thin. I found I was frequently wasting time just trying to flip through pages and having grip on my fingers made flipping through the pages MUCH easier.
6) Once there is about 30 minutes left - if you're not done & just triple reading a remaining tricky question or 2, go into survival mode. An educated guess is better than no answer. Heck, a totally random guess is better than no answer.
Good luck!

Thank you for the tips. I tabbed my books a few weeks ago. I also tried to highlight the subtitles for each section, and some of the guidelines under the codes. Some codes are bundled, and you can sometimes find that information under the code. But, other times its at the beginning of the code section in a few paragraphs which I won't have time to read.

I will definitely use the time management tips you gave me thanks so much. I don't feel like I have studied enough, but I am trying to stay calm instead of studying the night before the exam. I struggle with anxiety, and when it's bad I just can't process anything.

I feel pretty good about it, and if it doesn't work out I have another try. I had a dream that I passed with an 84% I know it's just a dream but it made me feel great better than a nightmare right lol. I think I've done everything I can do to prepare for this other than maybe a little more study time. I did go and buy some soft melt peppermints like you said, and will bring a small lunch box for my drinks. I won't bring food though, I will be lucky if I can even finish on time.

I look up to the people that have passed this exam, because coding is difficult and its not for everyone. I feel like I have found what I am good at so hopefully the hard work pays off :)