Wiki CPC-A

cbillman93

Best answers
I have been certified since July 2018 but have yet to work as a coder for various reasons. One being that I "don't have experience." What do you all suggest to get past this hiccup when applying for careers? I am currently working as a receptionist in medical facility as a way to have my foot in the door. But what else can I do?

I have already completed the practicode course, so what other options are there to help remove the "A?" Am I correct in my understanding that Practicode only removes 1 of the 2 years of apprentice status?

In addition, what are the best ways to keep my coding knowledge up to date? I'm worried that as more time passes, the less chance I will have to ever work as a coder.

Hi, do you have coursework that adds up to certain credit hours? I don't remember how many credit hours in coding. About practicode removing 1 of the 2, yes you are correct. I keep myself up to date by reading the monthly healthcare magazine by AAPC, attending local chapter meetings which is virtually now, free quarterly webinars offered by AAPC, listing to recorded videos from CCO, and also I am a follower of AAPC on LinkedIn.

Hey, I am currently taking an online 18 month course that specializes around hospital
Coding that will remove my “A” off of my CPC. It’s affordable and convenient!

To anyone who has passed the exam but is not coding. Don't look at only "coding" jobs. There are a bunch of jobs out there that are not coding, but either require a CPC or where your credentials are used and in demand. This happened to me. The hospital where I wanted to work needed a CPC to review cardiology claims after they were processed by insurance to make sure that any denials were accurate. Only a CPC can do that and I studied the cardiology section more than any other. I got the job which lead to other jobs. At one point I was assigned to start coding. I have been coding orthopedic surgeries for several years now, but I had no idea that I would be coding orthopedics when I started. There are probably more jobs where having your CPC is either required or wanted that are not actually coding, but you will be using your skills. Don't focus on coding alone, there are a bunch of jobs out there where you can use your CPC skills.

I have been certified since July 2018 but have yet to work as a coder for various reasons. One being that I "don't have experience." What do you all suggest to get past this hiccup when applying for careers? I am currently working as a receptionist in medical facility as a way to have my foot in the door. But what else can I do?

I have already completed the practicode course, so what other options are there to help remove the "A?" Am I correct in my understanding that Practicode only removes 1 of the 2 years of apprentice status?

In addition, what are the best ways to keep my coding knowledge up to date? I'm worried that as more time passes, the less chance I will have to ever work as a coder.

Have you tried asking that facility about a coding position? That's what I did. I started at check in and about a year later, I'm coding. And if they out source their coding, you might want to ask if they would be willing to write to some sort of referral letter stating what medical experience you have had with them.

And as far as keeping up with coding knowledge.... Since you have to keep up your CEU's, that would be one good way to keep up to date with coding. I also go through the different boards here in the forum to see what's being discussed with the different topics here.

Hello - Are you located in Texas?

To anyone who has passed the exam but is not coding. Don't look at only "coding" jobs. There are a bunch of jobs out there that are not coding, but either require a CPC or where your credentials are used and in demand. This happened to me. The hospital where I wanted to work needed a CPC to review cardiology claims after they were processed by insurance to make sure that any denials were accurate. Only a CPC can do that and I studied the cardiology section more than any other. I got the job which lead to other jobs. At one point I was assigned to start coding. I have been coding orthopedic surgeries for several years now, but I had no idea that I would be coding orthopedics when I started. There are probably more jobs where having your CPC is either required or wanted that are not actually coding, but you will be using your skills. Don't focus on coding alone, there are a bunch of jobs out there where you can use your CPC skills.
What do I search for? CPC jobs? I am currently searching for remote medical coder.